New A6 Compressor received with wrong oil type

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

jllgd
Read the full article

New A6 Compressor received with wrong oil type

Post by jllgd »

I’ve just purchased a new type GM A6 ac compressor, manufactured by company Alma Products.
Compressor is all correct, but it’s unfortunately filled with PAG 150 oil, not mineral oil.
I need a compressor filled with type 525 mineral oil, due to using R12 Freon in the AC system.

Can I simply drain and flush the PAG oil from the compressor, and refill with 525 mineral oil?
Or are there O rings and rubber seals etc inside compressor that will be affected?
Should I rather return the compressor?

Would there perhaps be a procedure available for this oil change and purpose?
Thanks
jllgd

Re: New A6 Compressor received with wrong oil type

Post by jllgd »

EE691768-CA0E-44F8-B946-BFBE2B419560.jpeg
EE691768-CA0E-44F8-B946-BFBE2B419560.jpeg (89.73 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
Compressor picture with label.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Had no idea that anyone was making new A6 comps.

Given the warning on the label, I would most definitely call the company and ask them your question. Usually the oil type is dependent on the type of freon, but that label makes you wonder in this case.
It is possible they have a model that is suitable for mineral oil, if this one is not.

If they say it is OK to switch oils, just drain out the old, (measure it) and rotate shaft about a dozen times, and refill with mineral (same amount) and rotate shaft another 12 times.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
jllgd

Post by jllgd »

Yes, they are made by Alma Products. They do new ones and also remanufactured.
Perhaps someone here know for sure that the compressor oil can be replaced and changed to mineral type?
Thanks

5247CC0F-EF1A-431C-94A6-B2FF7C6277D9.jpeg
5247CC0F-EF1A-431C-94A6-B2FF7C6277D9.jpeg (87.45 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Not sure how that could be since you are the only person who has one of these.... You wouldn't want to void the warranty!
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Maybe 15 years ago I bought a Sanden SD708 AC compressor from the board sponsor for my 1988 Mazda truck which was R-12. I was working at the R&D lab, so took in a drop of its oil to identify using a technique we had there, took 5 minutes (called FTIR, infrared spectroscopy). It turned out that the new compressor was filled with PAG oil. So I drained the new compressor, added some R-12 mineral oil and turned the drive plate by hand like a dozen turns, then drained that. Then I did that again. Then I added R-12 mineral oil to make what I felt was full charge for the truck, rotated the drive plate again. Worked fine for me.

Funny thing: a co-worker in my department had a 1990 Mazda Protege with R-12, and he got a compressor for his car from the board sponsor, same brand. His new compressor contained R-12 mineral oil. Go figure.

So my own personal experience is that the PAG oil in a compressor can be drained and flushed out using R-12 mineral oil. Do NOT use solvents to "clean out" a compressor !!!!
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

If you already have purchased the compressor. Why are you asking me a dozen questions about it via email this morning? I guess my time has no value.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
jllgd

Post by jllgd »

I may have to return the purchased compressor, since it arrived with PAG synthetic oil instead of 525 mineral oil.
My AC system is still of the old Freon R-12 type, so mineral oil is mandatory.
Hence my questions.
Thanks
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

jllgd wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:50 am I may have to return the purchased compressor, since it arrived with PAG synthetic oil instead of 525 mineral oil.
My AC system is still of the old Freon R-12 type, so mineral oil is mandatory.
Hence my questions.
Thanks
It might be tough or impossible to get an A6 compressor pre-filled with mineral-type oil these days.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

As suggested, drain-out the PAG that's in there now and flush it out a few times with mineral oil, then fill it with mineral oil one last time to specs. That'll save you the cost of the back-and-forth shipping of a rather heavy product. Don't use any kind of solvent to flush it out as stressed earlier.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.