newbie F'd up. what should I do.

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

jayk2k333
Read the full article

newbie F'd up. what should I do.

Post by jayk2k333 »

So I GOOGLE AC refrigerant FOR 2016 Mustang it came back as 1234yf refrigerant. So I put 2 12oz. cans of that in my car then realize the system is actually 134a. Did I do any damage and what should I do if anything?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: newbie F'd up. what should I do.

Post by Cusser »

jayk2k333 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:32 am So I put 2 12oz. cans of that in my car then realize the system is actually 134a.
Two 12 oz. cans of R1234yf is pretty costly !!!!

Didn't you even look at the underhood sticker, which tells what type of refrigerant and system capacity ?????
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

You bet. 8 oz is 45 bucks.
Plus fittings are left hand thread last I knew.
I am fairly certain the first year for any manufacturer in the USA to use the dreaded 1234yf was 2017. But that was not everyone.

While R-1234yf oils are backwards compatible with R-134a systems, R-134a PAG oils are not compatible with R-1234yf systems.

Whatever, do NOT run the compressor. I suggest a professional flush, vacuum, and recharge with proper oil and refrigerant. The 1234yf might cause the R134 PAG oil to sludge up

Also, the fact that it took 2 cans of refrigerant says that you have a massive leak that needs repaired

Let's face it, the EPA has made a horrible mess out of mobile AC in this country for years.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

Not a big deal as far as I know. PAG used for 1234yf is slightly better miscibility, still a PAG. The knuckle heads on the SAE committee that wrote standards for Yf blew things way out of proportion IMO.

Don't sweat it too much, recover the YF, charge it properly with 134a.
jayk2k333

Post by jayk2k333 »

thanks for the advice. $115 worth 1234yf and adapter, wasted some money and payed the stupidity tax. lesson learn.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

It's also worth mentioning not to use refrigerant containing sealers or other additives. Use only pure refrigerant.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.