Factory AC with Aftermarket Compressor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Tuned55
Read the full article

Factory AC with Aftermarket Compressor

Post by Tuned55 »

Hi.
Hopefully someone can help me with this. This seems like a very informative site for automotive AC.
I have a 2000 Grand cherokee I've done an LS1 swap with a front runner pulley and a Sanden AC pump and condenser. My question is if I make adapter fittings for the firewall fittings to AN fittings will the stock under the dash evaporater work with the aftermarket components?

Thanks
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Factory AC with Aftermarket Compressor

Post by JohnHere »

I don't see any obvious reasons why your setup wouldn't work. Charge the system to the factory specifications and see how it performs.

The original specs for your Jeep are 24 ounces net weight of R-134a, and 5.75 fluid ounces of PAG-46, unless the Sanden compressor requires more oil than that.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Tuned55

Post by Tuned55 »

Well that is great news. I'm not able to find an adapter to go from factory fittings to AN hose so I'll have some time and effort doing that and want to be sure I'm going in the right direction.
Thanks for your help!
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The best option is to have custom hoses made. Too many adapted connections are just areas for more leaks. No reason an aftermarket compressor will nto work with your components. Be sure you're "not" using a variable displacement Sanden is the only hic-up I see.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Tuned55

Post by Tuned55 »

Thanks Tim I bought the compressor so long ago I'll have to check to see what I actually bought. I've made my own ac hoses in the past I actually have an ac line crimper for sizes -6, '8, & -10.
I'll try to send pics of my compressor tag and the line I have to adapt to. For some reason this post won't let me attach them.
Thanks for your help Tim