86 S10 LS Swap - A/C info needed

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Bill Reid
Read the full article

86 S10 LS Swap - A/C info needed

Post by Bill Reid »

Hello,
We have a 86 S10 with an LS Swap that will utilize a Sanden SD7 style compressor.

What has been replaced in the truck with new:
1) Condenser
2) Evap Core
3) Dryer w/ new cycle switch, adapt service port to accept R134a style port(?)

This will be a manual "Request" style setup (like 03-07? Express Van) using a high pressure cutoff switch. PCM setup (regarding A/C)...

From what I can gather the Express van had its high pressure cutoff switch located on the compressor.
1) Is it safe to say the high pressure cutoff switch AND discharge port should be located on the discharge hose coming out of compressor?
2) What switch is best? I assume its the NC variety. Santech MT0973 (430PSI Open / 200PSI Close) or MT1635 (355PSI Open / 205 PSI Close). Is there a better switch?

Not sure yet on the orifice tube. Right now I have a new replacement (AC Delco 15-5754) for what was in there.

We live in Arizona if that helps...
Thanks,
Bill
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Re: 86 S10 LS Swap - A/C info needed

Post by DetroitAC »

1) yes HPCO switch on the discharge hose, you want the high side service port on the liquid line, before the orifice tube
2) I'd go for the 430 psig, 335 is way too low
Bill Reid

Post by Bill Reid »

Thanks for the quick response!

So, I have an "R12" high side service port between condenser and orifice tube on the stock pipe I planned on reusing. So, I'll put the adapter port on that... and the cutoff switch on the discharge hose. I bought some R12 / R134a adapters (w/ 7/16-20 threads). They do not fit high or low side. Thinking I need the 3/16" adapter to 16mm port for the high side. Any thoughts on the thread size (on the dryer) for the low side? 1/2" ACME?

Thanks Again!
Bill
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

If I understand the issue correctly, the R-12 service port on the original high-side line is a 1/4" flare fitting. If the new accumulator (dryer) is of the original configuration (for R-12), the threads on it are also 1/4" flare, not 1/2" ACME. So the R-134a conversion fittings should be compatible with 1/4" flare threads.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.
Bill Reid

Post by Bill Reid »

Doh! Helps if you remove the shrader valve before installing the adapter! Well, Low side is 1/4" flared and the adapter I bought (description below) fits fine. The high pressure service port, however, is smaller than 1/4" and is not flared. Thoughts?

Here is a quote of the adapters fitting I bought:

"These Low/High side retrofits/adapters/fittings will convert your old 1/4’’ SAE or 7/16"-20 UNF R12 R22 charging port and make it accept the R134a quick disconnect hose. Low Side, 1/4’’(7/16’’- 20) x 13 mm (Blue). High Side, 1/4’’(7/16’’- 20) x 16 mm (Red)."

Thanks,
Bill
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Bill Reid wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:23 am Doh! Helps if you remove the shrader valve before installing the adapter! Well, Low side is 1/4" flared and the adapter I bought (description below) fits fine. The high pressure service port, however, is smaller than 1/4" and is not flared. Thoughts?
Both 1/4" Flare adapters (the same thread size as 7/16"x20) should fit unless the 1/4" Flare fitting is missing from your HP line. In that case, what you're probably seeing are 1/8" NPT (National Pipe Threads), either female or male. The missing 1/4" Flare fitting should look something like this:
https://www.centurytool.net/AD24_CPS_1_ ... psad24.htm
Bill Reid wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:23 am Here is a quote of the adapters fitting I bought:
"These Low/High side retrofits/adapters/fittings will convert your old 1/4’’ SAE or 7/16"-20 UNF R12 R22 charging port and make it accept the R134a quick disconnect hose. Low Side, 1/4’’(7/16’’- 20) x 13 mm (Blue). High Side, 1/4’’(7/16’’- 20) x 16 mm (Red)."
Right. The 1/4" SAE—also called 1/4" SAE Flare—has the same threads as 7/16"x20 UNF. The HS adapter should fit on the existing HS line fitting unless the fitting is missing, as mentioned above. The 13mm (Blue) and 16mm (Red) specs refer to the plastic cap sizes (inside diameter, I think).

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.
Bill Reid

Post by Bill Reid »

Nothing is missing on the HP side. In fact it has a plastic screw on cap. It is definitely not 1/8" NPT male. It is not flared, has threads smaller than 1/4" SAE (7/16X20UNF), and also has a shrader valve.
Attachments
HPside.jpg
HPside.jpg (55.11 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

That looks to be a 3/16 male flare.
This adapter to 1/4 male flare should work

https://www.centurytool.net/AD36_CPS_3_ ... psad36.htm
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Bill Reid

Post by Bill Reid »

It is not flare... at least how I understand flare. Unless the bore is flared? Is that what you are referring to? Happy to take more pics. The top of the fitting is flat. I have a 3/16" to 16mm R134a adapter on order. When I get it I'll share. I gather this is a unique setup(?).

Are you suggesting a 2(?) adapter solution?

I appreciate everybody's time looking at this.

Thanks,
Bill
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

That's nothing like any R-12 test port I've ever seen. It looks like a miniature 1/2" ACME. Was a pressure switch originally screwed onto that fitting perhaps?