Holding Vacuum When Evacuating, How Long??

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tbirdtbird
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Holding Vacuum When Evacuating, How Long??

Post by tbirdtbird »

24oz of 134 and some nitrogen, meaning air since air is 78% nitrogen.
In other words you have a non-condensible in there, and thus the system will need a complete vacuum before actually charged to run.

If you wanted to leak test using 134 , pull a good vacuum, then use a small portion of a can to break vacuum hi and lo and bring the pressure up to about 15-20 psi, then you can sniff

did you remove the belts and put a shower cap over the compressor and then sniff inside the cap next day to check for compressor seal leakage
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Others may be in need of such an assortment.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
philipswanson

Post by philipswanson »

Tbirdtbird,

It's not too late. I can still do the shower cap trick but I will have to use a zip lock bag. No shower caps around here. Interesting password, I have two '97 T Birds here. Great cars, I have had 6 of them since they came out in 1990.

So you think my 58 pounds is too high for a simple leak test? One can had the dye in it. I used 2 all together.

Thanks! Phil
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

No, 58 psi is not too hi. Higher than needed but not too high. You are gonna eat up a lot of 134 this way, tho

Of course as you know Thunderbirds as 2-seaters came out in 1955, and stayed 2 seaters thru 1956 and 1957.
Then Robert McNamara shows up as president of Ford for only 6 months (later to become secy of defense) and decrees that the 1958 bird will be a 4-seater forever more, and in the view of many destroyed the look and provenance of the car.
The birds you are describing were a response to the many that wanted Ford to do it again, but again in the view of many they missed the mark because they offered the car in drab colors, instead of the bright pastels of the fifties.
I will forever kick myself since decades ago I had a chance to buy a primo primo 1956 for only 12K, and I turned it down because at that time I did not have sufficient indoor storage. Big mistake should have rented a garage
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
philipswanson

Post by philipswanson »

I have a neighbor that has an old original 57 that's just sat garaged there for at least 35 years and not run. A CA car and an E series car (factory dual quad). He probably would sell it if you are interested. I live in the San Diego area. This car has absolutely no rust and is dead straight. I would get it but I already have too many classic cars.

Used only two cans of R12, the rest is nitrogen. Looks like I have an air tight system.
philipswanson

Post by philipswanson »

Slit a plastic bag and wrapped it around the compressor then taped it up tight. Totally avoided messing with belts which are a PITA. Ran sniffer through to the inside and nothing there. Compressor is a Tim Special and good to go. I think my whole problem was those Schrader valve(s).