Compressor Won't Run

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Dgreen
Read the full article

Compressor Won't Run

Post by Dgreen »

2005 Saturn Vue. System was empty when it arrived. It had signs of dye around the high and low connections. No bubbles at connections when I applied nitrogen to the system. Can't find dye anywhere. micron gauge starts to rise when the vacuum pump is turned off. Added dye and 1/4 oz of oil. Vacuumed and put 7 oz of refrigerant in and the compressor wont run. There is voltage at the compressor. Coil showed 8 ohms, I think, resistance.

Any ideas why the compressor won't run and any common leak points on these systems?
tony1963

Re: Compressor Won't Run

Post by tony1963 »

Use a scan tool to see what codes are stored in the AC system. On some vehicles, once the system registers a code for low refrigerant, it will not engage the compressor until the code is cleared. Start there.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

8 Ohms is about 4 ohms too much. Coil may be faulty. Are you sure you got good purchase on the ground and feed wire? (ie no resistance in your connections)?
I also doubt any system is gonna turn on with only 7 oz of refrigerant. LPCO is gonna override to protect the comp
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Dgreen

Post by Dgreen »

7 oz is all that would go in. It was 85 degrees out, so system pressure would be 90 or so wouldn't it? Should try to run at least a little.

Wire setup for checking continuity of the coil was pretty sketchy.
tony1963

Post by tony1963 »

You should see a low side with the interior fan running on high of about 40 psi and on the high side around 220 psi.