1998 Frontier

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Cusser
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: 1998 Frontier

Post by Cusser »

Yesterday I had returned to Phoenix from cooler climate (which, of course is ANYWHERE !!!) and spent 2 hours maintaining my 23-year old above ground pool, which had gotten a little algae in it as I missed coming here last week due to a kidney stone (which passed Thursday afternoon).

OK, I bought this 1998 Frontier back in 2004 with 100K miles on it for my kids to learn to drive, and they both drove it through college then unexpectedly returned it to me. The AC has worked well in it since that 2017 pinhole in the high side line rubber part detailed in initial post in this thread. However, my records show that I added 12 oz R134a (without sealer of course) in August 2022. This morning I fired up the 1998 Frontier (273K miles, original compressor with one shim/spacer removed a few years ago to decrease AC clutch gap) to go to Home Depot and no cooling; blower fan was fine, AC compressor drive plate was engaging.

Upon return home, I connected my gauge set and both low and high side pressures were low. Since it was already 100F at 9am, I decided to add 12 oz pure R134a and would wait another month to check for any leaks. So I did, now have cooling: 25 psi on low side, 275 psi on high side, at 100F ambient and estimated 2000 rpm (truck has no tachometer even though it's 5-speed). Since the refrigerant capacity is about 24 oz., adding 12 oz. is half the optimum capacity ! I also installed two new valve caps.

So I was bad, added a can of R-134a without knowing how much R134a was still in the system, I admit that. Anyway, I do have soap bubbles, UV light and goggles, and electronic leak detector, but I'll wait until Phoenix cools down (if ever). You folks haven't "lived" until you experience 107F at 10pm and 100F heat after midnight !!!
Last edited by Cusser on Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Cusser wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:46 am OK, I bought this 1998 Frontier back in 2004 with 100K miles on it for my kids to learn to drive, and they both drove it through college then unexpectedly returned it to me. The AC has worked well in it since that 2017 pinhole in the high side line rubber part detailed in initial post in this thread. However, my records show that I added 12 oz R134a (without sealer of course) in August 2022. This morning I fired up the 1998 Frontier (273K miles, original compressor with one shim/spacer removed a few years ago to decrease AC clutch gap) to go to Home Depot and no cooling; blower fan was fine, AC compressor drive plate was engaging.

Upon return home, I connected my gauge set and both low and high side pressures were low. Since it was already 100F at 9am, I decided to add 12 oz pure R134a and would wait another month to check for any leaks. So I did, now have cooling: 25 psi on low side, 275 psi on high side, at 100F ambient and estimated 2000 rpm (truck has no tachometer even though it's 5-speed). Since the refrigerant capacity is about 24 oz., adding 12 oz. is half the optimum capacity ! I also installed two new valve caps.

So I was bad, added a can of R-134a without knowing how much R134a was still in the system, I admit that. Anyway, I do have soap bubbles, UV light and goggles, and electronic leak detector, but I'll wait until Phoenix cools down (if ever). You folks haven't "lived" until you experience 107F at 10pm and 100F heat after midnight !!!
Yesterday, I was there with the truck and took a look at this with my UV light and yellow goggles. I checked the entire system, including compressor fittings, front compressor seal, condenser, drier, connections at the firewall, even the condensate drain hose, did not see ANY dye/leaks. Maybe the new caps are sealing off any leak.

Next step would be to check the air vents and condensate drain with electronic detector, or let the local ASE mechanic take a look with a second pair of eyes if the cooling diminishes.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

You could always swing by the house. I have the old but best leak detector ever. Original GE H10.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Tim wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:34 am You could always swing by the house. I have the old but best leak detector ever. Original GE H10.
Thanks, I have an inexpensive electronic leak detector at home. Will try that on air vents and condensate line later this month. Maybe the new valve caps sealed the leak.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Just make sure you call ahead, so Tim can warm up the vacuum tubes in his detector.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Cusser wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:22 pm
Cusser wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:46 am
Yesterday, I was there with the truck and took a look at this with my UV light and yellow goggles. I checked the entire system, including compressor fittings, front compressor seal, condenser, drier, connections at the firewall, even the condensate drain hose, did not see ANY dye/leaks. Maybe the new caps are sealing off any leak.

Next step would be to check the air vents and condensate drain with electronic detector, or let the local ASE mechanic take a look with a second pair of eyes if the cooling diminishes.
Today I checked with my electronic leak detector, including the air vents, compressor seal, condensate drain, and the brand-new valve caps. I did not find any leaks. So I won't be doing anything more unless/until I notice a lack of cooling. Last time took a full year to have loss of cooling, hopefully the new valve caps corrected the source of that leakage.