Oil for 2001 Silverado 2500 HD

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

rszimm
Read the full article

Oil for 2001 Silverado 2500 HD

Post by rszimm »

OK, So I'm replacing the suction/discharge lines, the liquid line and the accumulator on this truck. The sticker on the compressor (Delphi 15067067) says to use oil 12345923 which when I look it up says it's a PAG-150 oil. Now I've got a service bulletin that says all GM should now use part 12378526 which is a PAG-46 oil. I'm not replacing all the oil in the system. The service manual says that when replacing the accumulator you "Add 60ml of PAG oil, plus the equal amount of oil drained from the accumulator".

So, do I replace with PAG-150 (which matches the oil I'm leaving in the system) or with PAG-46 (which is what GM tells me to put in)?

Also, do I just pour the 2oz++ into the accumulator before I install it?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Oil for 2001 Silverado 2500 HD

Post by bohica2xo »

That all depends on which compressor your truck came with.

!0SF17 and 10SF20 compressors use PAG 46

HU6 compressors use PAG 150
rszimm

Post by rszimm »

So I mentioned in the post that the part number of my compressor is 15067067. I did a google search and can't quite figure out if it's a HU6 compressor, but the sticker on the compressor says to use a PAG-150 oil, but then we have THIS service bulletin that says to use PAG-46 oil: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Chevrolet/02-01-39-004B

So do I trust the sticker or GM?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Who is going to cover the warranty on the compressor?
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

bohica2xo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:55 pm That all depends on which compressor your truck came with.

!0SF17 and 10SF20 compressors use PAG 46

HU6 compressors use PAG 150
This is correct for compressor brand.

Shouldn't your compressor supplier know this information or what they sold you?
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
rszimm

Post by rszimm »

I'm not replacing the compressor. The compressor is fine. I'm only replacing the suction/discharge lines, the liquid line and the accumulator. I'm assuming the compressor is OEM and 22+ years old and thus out of warranty. When I do the repair, I'll need to add a few oz of oil, and I'm getting the impression that I should ignore the GM TSB that says that all their OEM compressors should now be serviced with PAG-46, and just put a few oz of PAG-150 in. Correct?
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Follow the sticker on the comp.
Are you sure you want to put a 22 YO comp back into service, or replace it now while everything is open.
You can get a good price on a decent new comp from the site owner, Tim, at ACkits.com

In any event, avoid a reman comp, they are junk
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

This ^^.

The only difference between PAG-46 and PAG-150 for R-134a refrigerant is the viscosity. They are otherwise compatible. So yes, go with what the (new) compressor manufacturer calls for, adding the appropriate amount to bring the system up to a close approximation of the original oil specification.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
rszimm

Post by rszimm »

I'm going to give it a go for now with the old compressor. AC is pretty important in Tucson, but this truck is also 22 years old, and it's not a daily driver so I'm hesitant to put too much more money into it. I didn't have any debris in the orifice, so I'm thinking the compressor is good...(??). Just a persistent leak in the suction and discharge lines. After 2 years of just topping it off, I feel like it's my environmental duty to actually repair the leak. If I decide to replace the compressor I'll definitely take a look at ackits.com.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

rszimm wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:21 pm I'm going to give it a go for now with the old compressor. AC is pretty important in Tucson, but this truck is also 22 years old, and it's not a daily driver so I'm hesitant to put too much more money into it. I didn't have any debris in the orifice, so I'm thinking the compressor is good...(??). Just a persistent leak in the suction and discharge lines.
Good enough. Go ahead and use PAG-150, adding about 2-1/2 ounces to the new accumulator, which will cover the minute amount in the lines as well.
rszimm wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:21 pm After 2 years of just topping it off, I feel like it's my environmental duty to actually repair the leak.
Excellent...I commend you for that.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.