Four Season Deslugger module 2014 Yukon Denali

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Cusser
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Four Season Deslugger module 2014 Yukon Denali

Post by Cusser »

Cusser wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:00 am
Dgreen wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:53 am The parts store said there was a recall on these vehicles due to refrigerant slugging. The fix was programming the system to cycle on and off when it first starts up.
I had the "slugging" issue on our 2005 Yukon Denali with rear AC, kept breaking the AC belt but still cooled great until the belt broke; there was a noise associated with this. Apparently the slugging was due to the compressor being so low on the engine; I didn't find any information about any recall.

I gambled and just purchased a brand-new compressor and a Four Seasons deslugging module (that is said to help prevent slugging, but won't do anything on a compressor/system that already has the slugging issue). So I didn't touch the condenser, accumulator, or orifice tube as the unit still cooled. So that is my experience with this, was fine for at least 5 years until we sold it.

When we bought a 2011 Yukon, I swapped the deslugger module over to that before I sold the 2005. The module simply plugs into the wires to the compressor.
Well, in October 2022, a red light runner totaled that 2011 Yukon Denali; since we could not open the hood or crawl under at the body shop prior to it being totaled, I was unable to salvage/retrieve the Deslugger module. Since Mrs. Cusser needed a vehicle with enough power to haul a 2-horse trailer and again did not want a pickup truck, and we did not want to spend $80K or more, and used Suburbans or non-Denali Yukons did not generally have the larger 6.2 liter engine, we picked up a creampuff 2014 Yukon XL Denali in November 2022.

In July 2023, I bought a new Deslugger module for this through Amazon for $58, and installed it. Yesterday, I noticed that the AC was blowing warm immediately, opened the hood and saw that the compressor was not engaged. First thing I re-set the Yukon's computer to default, didn't help. The I switched the compressor relay with the identical fog light relay, didn't help. Then I unplugged both ends of the Deslugger, plugged the 2-wire AC harness back into the compressor and the AC compressor engaged. I did this test a second time, hooking up the Deslugger with no engagement, then bypassing it to engage the compressor. So defective Deslugger was the cause, only worked 2 months. Now working, with Deslugger removed.

Since Amazon reseller only lists refund or replacement for 30 days if in original/unused condition, and Amazon states to get warranty through manufacturer, I contacted Four Seasons and in my first reply it didn't seem that they wanted to be too helpful. But that was on a Friday afternoon, so I need to wait until next week to know....