1969 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Cusser
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: 1969 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Post by Cusser »

Tim wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:33 am It's an A6 by your part number. Hub/bearing fail all the time on those. Resurface the clutch pulley, bearing, and hub. A6 will always leak for the most part. If it still has some refrigerant. I'd do the clutch rebuild first. Swap oil and accumulator and see what you get with R134a. The old caddy should have a large condenser. But in AZ, doubt it will cool great when it's 115.
Tim, do you have an AC clutch rebuild kit or bearing for this?
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Cusser wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:39 pm
Tim wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:33 am It's an A6 by your part number. Hub/bearing fail all the time on those. Resurface the clutch pulley, bearing, and hub. A6 will always leak for the most part. If it still has some refrigerant. I'd do the clutch rebuild first. Swap oil and accumulator and see what you get with R134a. The old caddy should have a large condenser. But in AZ, doubt it will cool great when it's 115.
Tim, do you have an AC clutch rebuild kit or bearing for this?
69 might have the long hub, not sure.

A6 Standard

email me directly and I'll supply a little more data.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Let's wait until we get further clarification from the owner, thanks.

By the way, I now have newer computer with Windows10 and Avast antivirus software, and when I go to the forum site I get the following message, which doesn't come up for any other site. I'll send you a screen capture of that in an E-mail.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Okay. The site should be clean according to the monitoring service.
Attachments
02282024.jpg
02282024.jpg (100.18 KiB) Viewed 2221 times

Help Support the Forum
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Cusser, your email bounced back saying you blocked me.

Help Support the Forum
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I still got the same threat message today when I tried to Post a Reply (this reply). Then when I clicked again (like before), I don't get the message.

As to the E-mail, did this block my E-mail to you, or when you tried to E-mail back to me? I'm with Cox E-mail (they will change to Yahoo soon with same E-mail address) and I looked through my "blocked senders" list and neither the TRB or Info E-mail addresses are on it.

I have had trouble with one organization NOT being able to reach me through Cox, so I also have a G-mail address which automatically forwards to me, I'll try to send that to you in an E-mail.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I got your email, but my reply was blocked.

Help Support the Forum
Carguychris85

Post by Carguychris85 »

JohnHere wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:24 pm Some additional comments about R-1234yf...

Last summer, I purchased a new Toyota 4Runner Limited that has the above mentioned refrigerant, my first personally owned vehicle that didn't have either R-12 or R-134a. The best it would cool for me on a hot summer day here in the humid South (~90°F) was in the high-40°F range at the center vents after driving around for quite a while—30 minutes or longer. This performance is noticeably warmer than my other vehicles that would quickly pull-down the center-vent temperature into the high-30°F range even on local roads.

So I took it back to the dealership last year under warranty. They recovered the charge and found it had the approximately correct amount. Subsequent testing revealed that they could get it to produce only 46°F at the center vents and typically higher than that. To me, temps like those aren't acceptable, especially for a brand-new vehicle.

Of course, it's too cool to test it now. I'll have to wait until the temps climb to 80°F or above. Then, I'll see what it does. But so far, I am not at all encouraged by this new refrigerant.
Something is wrong with that 1234YF system in either design or function. I have a 2019 Nissan Titan with it. It pulls down very quickly and will blow so cold your finger tips will start to get numb. The system cycles on the thermister in the evaporator core even with the blower on high speed. It will get down to about 29-30F out of the center vent on a 110F day. After a few miles of highway driving, I almost always knock off the recirculation to warm up the air a bit. I have never had that feeling with a R134a system in any vehicle. The Titan system also performed well in Houston rush hour traffic, traveling next to the ship channel and on Galveston and Boliver island in summer heat and coastal humidity. The Titan does have a massive condenser and an electronically controlled clutch fan though. My only complaint with that truck, is like GM, Nissan did away with the rear vents in the center console for rear seat passengers. When you have rear seat passengers you have to leave the system cranked up to a point the front passengers are overly cool to get the rear seat occupants comfortable. Also miss the lower dash vents like my 97 Express and 99 Tahoe have.
Last edited by Carguychris85 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Carguychris85

Post by Carguychris85 »

I had very good results using an A6 with R152a about 20 years ago in a dual evaporator system. Preasure/Temperature curve is very similar to R12, so the POA should not need adjustment.

I also once had a 1993 Fleetwood. IT had a fantastic OE R134a ac system, but it was a limo chassis that was never stretched and had the rear ac system with the evaporator in the trunk. Also being a commercial chassis it had a big clutch fan rather than the weaker dual electric fans used on the standard 1993 Fleetwoods. Even being black on black in Texas heat that ac system was great. The A6 has the capacity to easily pull dual evaporators, with a car that large, highly suggest finding a rear ac system from a Series 60 or adding an aftermarket trunk mount system with vents in the rear package shelf going away from R12. My 93 had a factory R134a system with an R4 on its TBI 350, which I later converted to a V7 on.