Fan does not bring down high head pressure

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Swedal
Read the full article

Fan does not bring down high head pressure

Post by Swedal »

Recharged a Audi A6 2009 just now. Head pressure was high at 330 PSI at 80 ambient temp. The fan kicked in and ramped all the way up to full speed and sounded like a jet taking off but it did not manage to bring down the head pressure. Usually you will se the pressure drop as soon as the fan ramps up. I suspect a clogged TXV or other blockage. Low side was ok at around 40-45 and it did cool decently. Is this a bad TXV or a blocked condenser (air side)? But a bad condenser would react more to increased airflow right?
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Fan does not bring down high head pressure

Post by JohnHere »

Both of the pressures are too high. I'm surprised you get any cooling with a low side of 40-45 PSI. A reading of ~45 PSI means an evaporator temperature of ~50°F and center vent temperatures even higher than that--hardly adequate for comfort on a hot day.

Try misting the condenser with a garden hose and nozzle to see whether the pressures drop.

How did you recharge it, by weight or by pressures? We want to ensure that the charge amount is correct. Did you evacuate the system before recharging it? Did you replace the accumulator?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

At what engine rpm did you get your gauge readings? Idle or 1800? S/b at 1800.
John’s questions are very relevant, sounds overcharged from here.
What was the reason for re-charging the system
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

If I recall correctly, I believe this car has a variable-displacement compressor with an electronic control valve and is direct drive (no clutch). It's possible that the control valve failed and is causing the pressure irregularities and poor performance. Consider changing the control valve first before disassembling the rest of the system.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.