Old Chrysler A/C

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, Dougflas, HECAT

grumpy old man

Re: Old Chrysler A/C

Postby grumpy old man » Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 am

Pardon my ignorance but "barrier hoses"? Looking at the system the hoses look like the originals.

Since I replaced all the orings I did flush out the evap and condenser best I could with what I have to work with probably not perfect but better than nothing.
Al9

Postby Al9 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:36 pm

Barrier hose has an inner plastic liner.
grumpy old man

Postby grumpy old man » Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 am

I started out trying to do a favor for a friend and the more information I get the more it seems that I have stepped into a pit of quicksand.

Here is where I am presently at. I have opened up all the connections to replace the 55 year old o rings. While open I did a simple flush on the evaporator and condenser. I have not yet flushed out the compressor but that is next. I am not in any hurry because the owner lives in Australia and only uses the car when she is in town. Present situation being what it is I do not expect her to be in town anytime soon. I did get a new receiver dryer as that seemed to me to be a no brainier.

I got mentally locked into 134 because someone apparently did a conversion as there are adapters on the service valves. Last night it occurred to me that there are now R12 replacements. Would it be a better option to do a more thorough flush and go back to the R12 oil and replacement refrigerant?

Apparently R12 has a larger molecule than R134 hence the need for barrier hoses. So with a larger molecule is it easier to seal?

Obviously I am in an area where my knowledge is limited to what I can research, and researching anything it seems that there are as many opinions as there are people.

Return to “Automotive Air Conditioning Forum”