AC not very cold at idle, great while driving

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tbirdtbird
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: AC not very cold at idle, great while driving

Post by tbirdtbird »

Hopefully you are not using that Horrible Fright compressed air vac pump (venturi pump), which won't get you anywhere near where you need to be
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I don't recall your mentioning pressures. With the 16-ounce charge, what do the high and low sides look like at 1,800 RPM engine speed, A/C on max, blower on medium, doors and windows open, cooling fans running, and compressor engaged?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

"Horrible Fright" LOL. No, I used a brand new OEM Tools electric pump.
I'll check the pressures and report back.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I'm also trying to diagnose my serpentine belt. It's a Dayco belt, so not OEM, but I don't know how long it's been on there either. I've heard some intermittent squeaking/chirping lately. I sprayed a few oz of soapy water on it with a spray bottle and the vent temperature dropped 1, maybe 2 degrees at idle. Could have been because I had the hood open too, I'm not sure.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

time for a new one
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

tbirdtbird wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:59 am time for a new one
Couldn't hurt.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I didn't hear any noise coming from the compressor, nor did I hear hissing from under the dash. I sprayed some evaporator cleaner in the air vent directly above. I don't think it helped much, but it smells good. It was about 82 today and air temp at idle peaked at 49 degrees.
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

What speed (RPM) does your engine idle at?, what is it going down the road when things are nice and cool?
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I think my manifold gauage is screwed up. I attached everything, kept the top valves (the ones on the gauge) closed and opened up the couplers. The low side went up, but the high side read ZERO. What's up with that? Now it's even lower on refrigerant and I can't get a reading. Thanks, AutoZone. :x
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

your coupler or something else is simply not making a connection to the system, even tho it looks like it.

Should you be messing with mobile AC much more, Tim has a very competitive set available