Jeep Liberty AC Cool Not Cold

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

bohica2xo
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Jeep Liberty AC Cool Not Cold

Post by bohica2xo »

Yeah Tim, he had about 20 ounces in it with hoses, connection losses etc. High side was ok, and the TXV was working with a 22 psi low side.

The condenser is not looking like a great performer right now.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

bohica2xo wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:00 pm Yeah Tim, he had about 20 ounces in it with hoses, connection losses etc. High side was ok, and the TXV was working with a 22 psi low side.

The condenser is not looking like a great performer right now.
Not the largest condenser I've seen. Make sure there is proper air flow.

G3664S
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
murdoc

Post by murdoc »

A strange thing with this jeep is the condenser seems to also be the trans cooler. There are trans lines going to it. I wonder if that doesn't also hurt the performance of the condenser, to have 160 degree fluid going through it.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

murdoc wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:52 am A strange thing with this jeep is the condenser seems to also be the trans cooler. There are trans lines going to it. I wonder if that doesn't also hurt the performance of the condenser, to have 160 degree fluid going through it.
You are correct. The condenser does have an integral Transmission Oil Cooler (TOC) built into it. It DID work before, though, right? If so, it's possible that air could now be bypassing the condenser, as already mentioned, or the fan has become weak for some reason.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

The water misting test should have done wonders. Did you just spray a little mist on there just enough to wet it and then stop? You need to have a constant mist of water because O/W it will just dry off rapidly.
Pressures should always be given at the conditions Bohica gave....1500-1800 RPM, etc. Pressures at idle mean nothing. The comp is not able to do much work at all at idle speed.
Electric fans get tired, I have replaced several. The condenser makes it all happen....it releases all the heat the system absorbed from the cabin back into the atmosphere.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
murdoc

Post by murdoc »

Thanks guys. I did post the results doing the 1800 RPM test. And for the Mist test, it was more of a "shower". I have an adjustable hose nozzle and put it on shower mode with a constant stream going across it. Unfortunately I had to return the gauge set and vacuum to Autozone, so I can't run any more tests now. I may borrow the gages again in the future to troubleshoot more. But I think my next step is to save up $145 to have the system professionally recharged to see if that improves performance. Thank you for all your help! I will post a solution if I ever find the culprit.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

We appreciate it when people post back, it helps other readers
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Your initial set of pressures look pretty good to me. Have you explored the possibility of a re-heating situation—that is, heated air improperly mixing into the refrigerated air?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
murdoc

Post by murdoc »

I haven't explored it, as I don't know what that means. Sorry, could you please explain?
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

If the diverter doors in your under dash air box are not closing or sealing all the way, that can allow heated air from the heat circuit to mix with the cold air. The hot air will always win