What To Look For in an AC Machine?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tbirdtbird
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: What To Look For in an AC Machine?

Post by tbirdtbird »

I parked next to a 4-position free standing EV charging station not long ago. Behind a chain link fence was a diesel driven gen set that powered it.
You can draw your own conclusions
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
scoostraw

Post by scoostraw »

tbirdtbird wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:53 pm I parked next to a 4-position free standing EV charging station not long ago. Behind a chain link fence was a diesel driven gen set that powered it.
You can draw your own conclusions
HAHAHAHAHA

I'm guessing this was not a Tesla super charging station (or was it?).
scoostraw

Post by scoostraw »

bohica2xo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:31 am
scoostraw wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:44 am

{shrug} Many supercharger stations are already self-sufficient.

I forget where it was, but I remember reading about a power outage in a city somewhere a few months ago and the only thing anywhere that was brightly lit and working was the Tesla supercharger station.
Show me. Post the links not the lore.
"Tesla Supercharger stays online in power outage thanks to Powerpack system"

Link: https://electrek.co/2017/10/30/tesla-su ... ck-system/
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Thanks. Interesting article. It more than proves my point.

"Instead, the automaker is using the energy storage capacity to reduce the peak power demand at the station when several cars are charging at once. They say that it enabled them to grow the station from 2 to 12 Supercharger bays last year."

That battery bank exists ONLY because the grid in the UK can't support the charging station as it exists. It is NOT self sufficient. It is NOT charged by solar cells.

scoostraw

Post by scoostraw »

That article is from 2017 I believe.

These changes take time. From Tesla: "All Superchargers are being converted to solar/battery power. Over time, almost all will disconnect from the electricity grid."
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

I have nothing against the tesla for short hops. Just a larger Nissan Leaf. Big enough to make a decent Taxi. They make great taxis.

In fact they are even better when Elon himself digs a great big hole in the ground and lets them trundle along full of passengers below the city. No cross traffic, mapped routes and no sunshine. Like a little subway with individual cars that can leave the train at various platforms. Magnificent really. A concept that needs to expand.

The lithium battery charging issue will never go away. Goldilocks, too hot and no charge. Too cold and no charge. For above ground longer distances the NiMh Hybrid cycle is much better. Run the ICE at the most efficient operating range when you do need it. Regen braking, engine shutdown etc. represents a lot of energy. Long battery life and no insane fires.

I have some Prius cells and some Escape cells on my bench removed from vehicles that were 13+ years old. The vehicles were beyond their service life and were being scrapped. The cells are still above 75% of their original capacity.
scoostraw

Post by scoostraw »

Ok so I picked up the below machine today for $300. It works and is fully functional as far as I can tell.

Are any of you guys familiar with this machine? (I only intend to use it for R134a)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... ger_banner
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 7.16.18 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 7.16.18 PM.jpg (93.51 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Mod's: Okay, to leave this link. This individual supports the forum.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
scoostraw

Post by scoostraw »

@Tim I did get that Robinair machine I showed you. But then this one popped up. This is totally automated, whereas the Robinair is more manual. Pluses and minuses to both, but I'm leaning toward keeping the Yellowjacket.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I'd consider the manual option of the auto. There are fewer areas to have issues with and with these old units. And might not be able to get service parts for them. These machines are not as complicated as some like to make out. They recover and filter refrigerant and recharge via storage container. Most have a vacuum pump as well as part of the process.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum