Black vs. green o-rings

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

atikovi
Read the full article

Black vs. green o-rings

Post by atikovi »

My 2003 Honda has black o-rings on the lines at the compressor. Any reason they can't be replaced with the green ones from a Santech assortment?
tony1963

Re: Black vs. green o-rings

Post by tony1963 »

I remember this debate from years ago. There are some that believe that the green O-rings are superior and those that believe that the black O-rings are superior. I can tell you that we never had an O-ring failure on either as a replacement.

I also remember the endless rants about Nylog which I never used. Never had a problem.

The O-ring is probably good for 20 years. When I pulled apart my then 15 year old 85 Suburban in 2000, it had factory O-rings and no signs of leaks. I retrofit the system and installed new parts including O-rings, the black ones, and also the green ones, depending upon the part. Some parts came with green, others with black.

Not one drop of Nylog was ever used and the system ran fine, no leaks, until I sold it in 2019.

So, you can believe all of the stories about Nylog, green O-rings and Marvels Mystery Oil, or take the simple route. Use what comes supplied in the parts and move on to something else.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

When the compressor seized in my 2004 Frontier (116K) in 2018, I replaced the compressor, condenser, and drier (the drier and condenser were a single unit). These new parts did not come with O-rings (cost savings), so I bought an assortment of green NBR O-rings and matched up sizes, has worked fine since. Yes, I did backflush the high pressure line with solvent.

However my 1998 Frontier (273K) is still on its factory compressor, condenser, etc.; only its high pressure line has been replaced (pinhole in the rubber part). So its factory O-rings have held for 25 years so far. The only replacement high pressure line (aftermarket, discontinued by Nissan) had different length fitting to the compressor, I had to shorten that 5.5mm to seat properly. But that came with green O-ring.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

tony1963 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:15 pm I remember this debate from years ago.
Is this tony1963 from the Ebaymotors forum by any chance?