Newbie, installing "custom" system

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Mogman
Read the full article

Re: Newbie, installing "custom" system

Post by Mogman »

Yes I understand that, but if the low side was low then the high side would necessarily be lower than normal too, just trying to understand why many aftermarket systems I have looked at do not have a low side pressure switch.
I am planning on using a low side pressure switch, just curious that's all.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with installing a pressure switch on the low side. My guess is that manufacturers leave it off figuring that a binary (or trinary) switch is sufficient, and/or to reduce costs.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

I generally use a binary switch in the high side as a safety. Above 30psi the system will run, go past 450 psi and it stops.

I realize the system can be very low and the compressor will start with that switch. But a failure that empties the system will shut the clutch off, and I needed an HPCO anyway.
Mogman

Post by Mogman »

Thanks guys, that answers my curiosity perfectly!!!
Mogman

Post by Mogman »

I found the diagram for the OEM AC, I'm not sure why but I would have guessed they would run the condensers in series, but no they are in parallel.
4-5 is the right condenser, 9-10 is the left condenser, that break in the line left of #5 is where the drier goes and 11-12 is the rear evap.
Guess I need to pick up some more Tees, all that plumbing would be outrageously expensive, will probably just do it all in hose, but will check anyway.
the rear condensers are setting me back 2 grand NOS. nothing on any military vehicle is cheap...
Attachments
diagram.JPG
diagram.JPG (95.63 KiB) Viewed 10377 times
Mogman

Post by Mogman »

I was thinking series because of this copper loop in the right condenser, I figured they removed this loop to install the dual condenser
Attachments
right side.jpg
right side.jpg (256 KiB) Viewed 10377 times
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Quick mention.

Mogman is using the availability of this site correctly—plenty of images to help with his project and yet not spamming the site with advertisements.

Thank you.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Mogman

Post by Mogman »

I am about to remove the factory hoses from the NOS front evap, they terminate in fittings that would use a bulkhead manifold which I will not be using so I need caps to seal the #10 and the #6 (IIRC) o ring fittings on the evap but all my searches for caps turn up only valve caps....
The reason I need good caps is this will be an extended installation that will take several weeks at best and it will be driven during that time so I want to make SURE nothing gets in there.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Check with Detroit AC He is a member here, and this is the ONLY ebay link that is permissible.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=33 ... roitthermo

I believe it is the Dodge Journey line caps you are looking for bur send him a question and make sure.
Mogman

Post by Mogman »

Awesome, THANKS.
You would think these would not be hard to find, both of the condensers came with them but they did not have hoses attached from the factory.