Specs for Compressor - Calsonic 73111FA132 AND discussion on substitutions for Subaru Ej25/22

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

andrew vanis
Read the full article

Specs for Compressor - Calsonic 73111FA132 AND discussion on substitutions for Subaru Ej25/22

Post by andrew vanis »

IMG_20230814_111841.jpg
IMG_20230814_111841.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
Hello, might anyone have the specs for a compressor:

Calsonic 73111FA132 It is from a 1999 Subaru Forester.

I have googled the part number without much success.

I'm wondering if it has enough volume for a 6-vent 35,000 Please don't spam our Site - Forum Rule #8.
(some sites have that unit at 32,000 BTU)
I saw another thread where there was a link for the 5-vent 22,000 BTU one at site sponsor Please don't spam our Site - Forum Rule #8. but I can't find the item searching their website.

The system will have a 16"x24" parallel flow condenser. It will be in a VW Vanagon.
Last edited by andrew vanis on Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: Specs for Compressor - Calsonic 73111FA132

Post by tbirdtbird »

Please read the rules for this forum. They specify not to link to any other supplier. Please delete the link
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

tbirdtbird wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:40 pm Please read the rules for this forum. They specify not to link to any other supplier. Please delete the link
Oops, didn't know, :? Newby mistake. Wasn't intended as spam, only for reference. Looks like an admin already deleted/edited. Here's a the "However, it may consist of pictures or videos that clarify your question"
6-fin evap Capture.JPG
6-fin evap Capture.JPG (34.92 KiB) Viewed 2799 times
Would still love to know if the Calsonic compressor is up to the task of a 35kBTU evap.

Thanks

EDIT, Here's the link to the Evap (the 5-louver one) https://www.ackits.com/product-categori ... ring-10188

Doesn't look like they have the 6-louver higher BTU one. I'll send them an email.

My error was I made an error in recollection of ac???,,,and reading the site rules, I see in the last #16 it is ACKits.com I was trying to recollect...Thanks for straightening me out.
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Images are more than welcome. Off-site links don't support the costs of this site, which are more extensive than many think. I asked politely for years, and now I remove any with Rule 8 mentioned. Not an attack on you.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

As for your compressor, I could not find any information on displacement.

I would try and fit something like this.

14-2826NC
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

So this is a Subaru swapped Vanagon?

That compressor crosses with A Valeo 815641 or a 4S #68653 This is a direct mount compressor with 4 bolts and peanut fittings. I have no data on displacement, and can't even say if it is piston or scroll.

A SD7H15 Sanden has about as much displacement as you can find in a similar sized compressor. An adaptor plate could be fabricated.

The SD7H15 maxes out around 34,000 Btu/h @ 4000 rpm compressor speed. At 1500 rpm you will see about 14,000 btu/h. And it will take about 10 horsepower at full output. In reality at cruising rpm, plan on 23,000 to 27,000 btu/h output.

Either one of those large aftermarket evaporators will provide a lot of cooling. Pay attention to oil circulation and line length / routing. Is the condenser in the front of the vehicle? Where do you plan to put the evaporator?
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

Thanks for the responses :)
bohica2xo wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:37 pm So this is a Subaru swapped Vanagon?
yes, EJ25 so 2.5L (BTW, teh older EJ22 has the same compressor mounting.
bohica2xo wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:37 pm That compressor crosses with A Valeo 815641 or a 4S #68653 This is a direct mount compressor with 4 bolts and peanut fittings. I have no data on displacement, and can't even say if it is piston or scroll.
Ahh, good to know. I'll search for specs on those
bohica2xo wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:37 pm A SD7H15 Sanden has about as much displacement as you can find in a similar sized compressor. An adaptor plate could be fabricated.

The SD7H15 maxes out around 34,000 Btu/h @ 4000 rpm compressor speed. At 1500 rpm you will see about 14,000 btu/h. And it will take about 10 horsepower at full output. In reality at cruising rpm, plan on 23,000 to 27,000 btu/h output.

Either one of those large aftermarket evaporators will provide a lot of cooling. Pay attention to oil circulation and line length / routing. Is the condenser in the front of the vehicle? Where do you plan to put the evaporator?
Adapting may be a challenge due to intake manifold location. I'll look at that with new eyes.

Yes, It would be great to get enough compressor capacity to fully utilize the large evaporators and I'm hoping, though not really sure, that if it happens to be an overly-large evaporator that it is not an issue.

16x24 condenser in front, engine and evaporator in back, and bout 15+?TBD feet of hose between.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

That Calsonic is a direct mount pump, with a very flat base. There are adapter plates on the market to mount the ear type compressors on the flat surface of the old tecumseh base.

The other choice would be a direct mount compressor on an adapter plate of some sort. Some fabrication will be required. The Sanden SD7H15 is available as a direct mount.

There is one other fairly compact direct mount compressor with enough volume for a dual system in a big SUV. The FS10. 178 cc / rev.
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

bohica2xo wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:38 am There is one other fairly compact direct mount compressor with enough volume for a dual system in a big SUV. The FS10. 178 cc / rev.
Thanks for the FS10 lead. There are several nice things about the FS10 for this substitution: (some pics below highlight these items)

1) Mounting looks like it will work with an easy to create adapter plate with holes - basically bolt plate to engine holes and then compressor to plate.

2) it is almost exactly the same length which allows it to fit considering the length restriction due to the intake manifold.
2.5) There are many configurations in comes in including connections on top which is necessary for clearance since no room in the back.

3) there are different pully versions available some of which align further in or out which may help with belt alignment

a few questions

a) Does the 150 hp EJ25 have enough power to drive this compressor? Most of the applications seem to be for BIG Ford engines.

b) can it run on 4-rib belt? The EJ25 engine crankshaft pully is 4 rib, most of these compressors I've seen have 8 rib pulleys. Considering the volume this compressor moves, will I get slipping with only 4-ribs? will I have to tighten the belt so much to prevent slipping what I might have concerns about the bearings in the compressor and idler pulleys?

c) is there a resource for a model decoder or something that would allow me to select connector location and pully type? 4S has a bunch that pop up and I'd rather not have to compare pictures.

d) does ACKits.com carry these? their website seem to have only the Sanden with the tab mounts.

e) anything else I should be thinking about using this compressor for this application?

Thanks

Showing length restriction due to Intake Manifold
Compressor clearance.JPG
Compressor clearance.JPG (48 KiB) Viewed 2707 times

Showing placement and new hose directions to expected top-side connectors
orientation.JPG
orientation.JPG (168.71 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
Showing alignment and length. Actually this is with the pully first (closest to compressor) rib aligned. Length of the FS10 to the back side is same as the Calsonic
length.JPG
length.JPG (124.7 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Specs for Compressor - Calsonic 73111FA132 AND discussion on substitutions for Subaru Ej25/22

Post by bohica2xo »

Looks like you don't have a lot of axial space for the compressor

The site sponsor has (or can get) most anything in the A/C world. Maintaining a catalog that large is a daunting task. Here is the direct mount SD7h15, also available in a serpentine belt:

https://www.ackits.com/comp-flx7-4419-p ... 4-SD4419NC

The 4 rib belt can transmit enough power. You can just use the 4 ribs closest to the compressor body.

How much vertical height do you have above that existing compressor to work with?

Because we are not out of compressor options yet...