Specs for Compressor - Calsonic 73111FA132 AND discussion on substitutions for Subaru Ej25/22

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

andrew vanis
Read the full article

Re: Specs for Compressor - Calsonic 73111FA132 AND discussion on substitutions for Subaru Ej25/22

Post by andrew vanis »

Here are some pics of the adapter place design and install. Still have to make it pretty and it lines up really well.

Measured off the closest belt rib. Had to raise the compressor to clear the bolt for the bottom right OEM hole. 3D printed a sample to confirm clearance. it sagged a little but enough to verify.

(see next post for metal plate due to 3-file/post limit)
Attachments
plate dimentions Capture.JPG
plate dimentions Capture.JPG (71.06 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
plastic w-compressor Capture.JPG
plastic w-compressor Capture.JPG (145.39 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
plastic mounted Capture.JPG
plastic mounted Capture.JPG (46.63 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
Last edited by andrew vanis on Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214
andrew vanis

Re: Specs for Compressor - Calsonic 73111FA132 AND discussion on substitutions for Subaru Ej25/22

Post by andrew vanis »

metal version
Attachments
metal w-compressor Capture.JPG
metal w-compressor Capture.JPG (63.42 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
plate steel Capture.JPG
plate steel Capture.JPG (18.97 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Some decent welds there
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

tbirdtbird wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:36 am Some decent welds there
Its not what you know, its who you know. I'll pass long the compliment. :lol:

I'll put you in touch if you're ever in ABQ.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Nicely done.
andrew vanis

Rotate compressor or move ports to side - generally possible? (with specifics for FS10 compressor)

Post by andrew vanis »

Rotate compressor or move ports to side - generally possible? (with specifics for FS10 compressor)

This is a general question for anyone considering installing a universal compressor or a custom installation.

Any issues with oil flow or any other considerations?

I'm thinking since oil is suspended in the refrigerant it goes around. Possibly when at rest oil pooling would need to be considered?

My situation specifically applies to having potential top clearance issues for connector fittings with this FS10 compressor on a Subaru EJ25 in a VW Vanagon. This specific compressor is (removed manufacturer name and model number per tbirdtbird request).

(Pic) If the ports could be on the side, all that space could be for the fittings and hoses.

Solution 1 - to rotate the compressor axially 90deg. Another different custom bracket would need to be made.

Solution 2 - rotate just the rear part of the compressor by unbolting the body bolts, rotating, reinstalling bolts. Similar to the Sanden adjustablw rear body plate.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy

(picture of compressor removed per tbirdtbird request below)
Attachments
Screenshot_20230909-083750.jpg
Screenshot_20230909-083750.jpg (190.14 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
Last edited by andrew vanis on Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Rotate compressor or move ports to side - generally possible? (with specifics for FS10 compressor)

Post by bohica2xo »

Just run what you have. Re-clocking that compressor leaves a whole new can of worms with the 3rd mounting bolt.

Looks like there is plenty of stuff on that engine right now that is taller than a hose.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: Rotate compressor or move ports to side - generally possible? (with specifics for FS10 compressor)

Post by tbirdtbird »

You have been previously asked not to post links or info regarding other vendors of AC equipment. For 2 reasons, first that such vendors do nothing to support this excellent website, which has a treasure trove of info. Secondly, because Tim, the owner, also sells quality realistically priced AC components from the sister website, ackits.com.

I request that you block of the name of the vendor on that picture, and any reference to their Part numbers
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

tbirdtbird wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:13 am You have been previously asked not to post links or info regarding other vendors of AC equipment. For 2 reasons, first that such vendors do nothing to support this excellent website, which has a treasure trove of info. Secondly, because Tim, the owner, also sells quality realistically priced AC components from the sister website, ackits.com.

I request that you block of the name of the vendor on that picture, and any reference to their Part numbers
tbirdtbird - based on your statement above and your prolific and helpful posts on here, last night after coming home from camping I removed the manufacturer name, part number, and picture because I'm gun-shy of violating again the forum rules again like I did on my first ever post. I've been conscious and diligent in staying with forum rules since and I believe I have been even with the original version of the initial post in this topic, specifically

8. Posting links to outside businesses, including online enterprises, vendors, and auction sites, is prohibited. However, it may consist of pictures or videos that clarify your question.

In my original post in this topic there was not a link to another vendor. There was a manufacturer name, manufacturer part number, and a manufacturer picture.

It would seem that having as much specifics of a part such as the manufacturer name, part number, and picture would allow folks to reply accurately without having to ask "So what compressor is that?". That is why that info was included in the original post.

Additionally, various manufacturers including this specific manufacturer had their name written in other posts I've seen in other topics in this forum and no edits or comment that such information was prohibited so was/am befuddled by your comment.

***As I'm still learning the rules of this playground and wish to play nicely. Please elaborate what/how the original post violated the rules considering what I have just written and, if manufacturer names/numbers/pictures are not allowed, how to write a question so that folks know what is being discussed?

and FWIW:

1) do know I value this forum and since as a non-professional I can't contribute knowledge like others can I have made a financial contribution already weeks ago to support the forum. I didn't think it was much but Tim replied with a comment stating a Thanks and that is was a larger contribution that most give.
(Hearing that not too many support and what support comes is little, I'm not surprised with the insistence to have links to only ACKits.com as they fund this forum.) Not that making a financial contribution gives me any special standing, I just want you to know I value this forum and have contributed how I could.

2) I also tried cross-referencing the manufacturer part number on ACKits.com so I could post the respective compressor info from the site sponsor ACKits.com and did not get any compressor results, just results on AC tools.

3) the manufacturer had images of their compressors which was very helpful in finding a configuration feasible for this non-standard installation.

Thanks for your comment and I look forward to learning further from it.

Andy
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

bohica2xo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:18 am Image

Just run what you have. Re-clocking that compressor leaves a whole new can of worms with the 3rd mounting bolt.

Looks like there is plenty of stuff on that engine right now that is taller than a hose.
bohica2xo,

Thanks for your comment and citing the picture from that manufacturer.

*** The main question still is what cans of worms might exist in rotating that compressor 90 deg? The 3rd mounting hole is not an issue and the mount for the 90deg-rotated compressor, I believe, would actually be even better than the mount already crafted.

re: the block you cited -

a couple weeks ago now I've reached out to the manufacturer of the block you included a picture of to get alternate side and front images of that specific block to see how it would fit because

1) it is not clear what the fitting height actually is since it could be like their other offering in the pictures below (in the next post) where the bottom view looks like it could work but the front view makes it clear that the fitting is actually several inches high. (images in next post since this post has reached its limit from your image link and the thread link below)

I've asked the manufacturer for additional views to determine how/if it might work and they do not have any nor do they have any to take since they are out of stock because they make the fittings to order.

BTW, they did say that brass part is a pressure relief valve, I have not yet followed up to ask at what pressure since unless it fits physically it wouldn't matter.

That manufacturer also makes a 45deg one - they don't have a picture of it but I posted a picture from a different manufacturer in this Calsonic thread https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 817#p27817 Even with the 45deg block it is unclear if the fittings/hoses would be low enough since they would have to overlap on top of each other since they both go to the right.

2) if the block you cited is in fact "flat" there is a concern that the 90deg fittings/hose connectors would clear the front bolt channel and if they would, the fittings should have to be angled over each other creating additional height which, since this adapter plate required the compressor to be raised to clear a mounting bolt. Because of the bolt block behind the pulley I wonder if that specific block is intended for teh FS10s that have the ports on back rather than a top-port FS10 like the one I'm using here.

If the compressor could be mounted rotated 90deg clockwise it would eliminate the height concern plus it would put the hoses in an empty area cleaning up the top of the engine.

*** The main question still is what cans of worms might exist in rotating that compressor 90 deg?

Thank you for your response.
Last edited by andrew vanis on Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.