Robinaire 2.2 cu in vac pump - repairable?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

aribert
Read the full article

Robinaire 2.2 cu in vac pump - repairable?

Post by aribert »

My Robinaire 2.2 cu in vacuum pump has become erratic and no longer draws below 1200 micron, at best. I completed 4 successive oil changes with no improvement. Are these pumps rebuildable by an individual? I searched for a repair kit or instructions for my pump and found nothing. I did find that Robinaire will rebuild vacuum pumps (I am presuming that this might exceed the value of an older pump).

I ended up renting one of the little vacuum pumps from a local auto parts store (actually I ended up doing this 3 times before I received a functioning pump) - performing several oil changes in each pump before giving up and returning to rent another pump. I'd much rather have my own pump if it were to function properly.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Robinaire 2.2 cu in vac pump - repairable?

Post by Cusser »

JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

By the time you replace the vanes, rotor, static ring, and other internal components (if you can find them), plus your time to repair it, you'll probably come out ahead by purchasing a new pump, like the one above, which is also most likely superior in CFMs. Likewise having the company repair it, especially when factoring-in shipping, which will be expensive for such a heavy item.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
3b auto

Post by 3b auto »

I hope your lasted longer than mine. Used mine x2
It got hot, and only pulled to -10
Im fresh oil will give it new life.

I still dont understand why your supposed to change oil with every use…
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

3.102 Oil Contamination
The most common cause of a loss in efficiency in a mechanical pump is contamination of oil. It is caused by
condensation of vapors and by foreign particles. The undesirable condensate emulsifies with the oil which is
recirculated and subject to re-evaporation during the normal cycle of pump activity this reducing the ultimate
vacuum attainable

I answered in more detail in your other thread about compressor draining.
swampy 6x6

Post by swampy 6x6 »

hi
Tried recently to repair my old school Robin air USA made 2stage 5 cfm vac pump . Parts are no longer made . The complete alloy pump half is replaced . Considered age and I chose not to

If u buy a non USA eg china buy a 6cfm 1/2hp 2stage. The 4cfm I purchased is slow to pull down vs my old school Robinair .
This is no reflection on site sponsor just my experiences with my personal setup .