Separate Systems for each Refrigerant ?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

robertdaleweir
Read the full article

Separate Systems for each Refrigerant ?

Post by robertdaleweir »

Hi
I am wondering if it is possible to clean an Evacuation System thoroughly from one type of Refrigerant so it could be used to Evacuate another type?
If it is, how would one go about properly cleaning any system before changing to another refrigerant. I am talking about a DIYer. I understand why big shops have one for each type or refuse to work on certain systems.
Robert
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Separate Systems for each Refrigerant ?

Post by JohnHere »

If you're referring to professional RRR machines, they usually are designed for specific refrigerants and oil types—for example, R-12/Mineral Oil (virtually obsolete nowadays); R-134a/PAG Oil; and R-1234yf/Special PAG Oil. Lately, I've heard that RRR machines are now being produced that can handle both R-134a and R-1234yf.

If you're referring to a DIY-owned vacuum pump, it can handle any of the three refrigerants and oil types. I would change the oil in the vacuum pump, though, before using it on a system with a different refrigerant with which it was previously used. You'll also need an appropriate adapter to mate the yellow hose to your vacuum pump, the appropriate Manifold Gauge Set, and the matching hoses/adapters.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
robertdaleweir

Post by robertdaleweir »

JohnHere wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:45 am If you're referring to professional RRR machines, they usually are designed for specific refrigerants and oil types—for example, R-12/Mineral Oil (virtually obsolete nowadays); R-134a/PAG Oil; and R-1234yf/Special PAG Oil. Lately, I've heard that RRR machines are now being produced that can handle both R-134a and R-1234yf.

If you're referring to a DIY-owned vacuum pump, it can handle any of the three refrigerants and oil types. I would change the oil in the vacuum pump, though, before using it on a system with a different refrigerant with which it was previously used. You'll also need an appropriate adapter to mate the yellow hose to your vacuum pump, the appropriate Manifold Gauge Set, and the matching hoses/adapters.
Hi JohnHere
Thank you for such a comprehensive answer. I understand what you are saying. I have most of the items you mention. Is it an absolute requirement to have a RRR machine to just evacuate one vehicle or can it be done by simply using a Vaccuum Pump directly into a proper storage tank?
Robert
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I think what you're referring to is recovery instead of evacuation.

In theory, you could recover the refrigerant by using a vacuum pump and storage tank. But remember that a modern RRR machine also recycles the refrigerant by identifying, filtering, and removing moisture from the recovered refrigerant, thereby purifying it and rendering it suitable for re-use.

The identification function is particularly important in that the machine will let you know whether a refrigerant is what it's supposed to be, or whether it's contaminated with hydrocarbons and other non-EPA-approved substances. In that case, it can't be recycled and must be collected into a separate "trash" tank, then safely and legally disposed of by an EPA-licensed company specializing in that process.

Most DIY'ers can't afford the thousands of dollars it takes to buy a new RRR machine of their own. So what they do instead is bring the vehicle to a local service shop that has an RRR machine and have it recovered for a nominal fee. The shop will be able to tell you exactly how much refrigerant the machine removes (whether too little, right on, or too much, according to the vehicle's specs), and how much oil comes out, so that you can then repair the system, if necessary, replace the oil that was recovered, and evacuate/recharge it.

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
robertdaleweir

Post by robertdaleweir »

JohnHere wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:11 am I think what you're referring to is recovery instead of evacuation.

In theory, you could recover the refrigerant by using a vacuum pump and storage tank. But remember that a modern RRR machine also recycles the refrigerant by identifying, filtering, and removing moisture from the recovered refrigerant, thereby purifying it and rendering it suitable for re-use.

The identification function is particularly important in that the machine will let you know whether a refrigerant is what it's supposed to be, or whether it's contaminated with hydrocarbons and other non-EPA-approved substances. In that case, it can't be recycled and must be collected into a separate "trash" tank, then safely and legally disposed of by an EPA-licensed company specializing in that process.

Most DIY'ers can't afford the thousands of dollars it takes to buy a new RRR machine of their own. So what they do instead is bring the vehicle to a local service shop that has an RRR machine and have it recovered for a nominal fee. The shop will be able to tell you exactly how much refrigerant the machine removes (whether too little, right on, or too much, according to the vehicle's specs), and how much oil comes out, so that you can then repair the system, if necessary, replace the oil that was recovered, and evacuate/recharge it.
Hi JohnHere
That spells it out very well. Thank you. I think I understand the process now. I will be looking for someone who can extract the Refrigerant from my system. Not sure how to mark this question solved but I now know what I need to do. Great answers ...
Robert
robertdaleweir

Post by robertdaleweir »

andrew vanis wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:00 am
robertdaleweir wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:57 am. Not sure how to mark this question solved but I now know what I need to do. Great answers ...
Robert
Often you can go into your original post, choose edit, and edit the topic title.

If that is no longer possible yourself, a site admin should have the ability to make that change. Idk how that is handled on this site.
Hi andrew
Thanks I will check that out.
Robert
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

robertdaleweir wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:57 am Not sure how to mark this question solved but I now know what I need to do.
No need to mark this thread "solved." You said it, and most if not all of the Forum's consultants will see your comment.

JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

andrew vanis wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:19 am When searching a forum before asking a possibly redundant question, seeing topic title -"Situation XYZ (SOLVED)" is one I'll be clicking on first
The only way I can think of to do that is to start another duplicate topic with "solved" at the end of it. As far as I know (and I'm not an IT manager), existing topics can't be edited.

I'm not convinced that creating a second identical topic would buy us much of anything. Besides, many members have more than one question in mind when they post. Doing a quick search for key words seems to me to be the better option.

andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

JohnHere wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:12 amThe only way I can think of to do that is to start another duplicate topic with "solved" at the end of it. As far as I know (and I'm not an IT manager), existing topics can't be edited.

I'm not convinced that creating a second identical topic would buy us much of anything.
Agreed, a duplicate topic would not be a good idea.
andrew vanis wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:00 am Often you can go into your original post, choose edit, and edit the topic title..
Just verified that topic title changes can be done and thus adding SOLVED works as demonstrated on this post -

https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 936#p27936

.... Since it's possible, now you (we? as a community?) can choose if that is a protocol to have going forward. I'll plan on doing so unless y'all don't want it.
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I believe that a separate recovery/recharge machine is required by regulation for each refrigerant type.

Now for service gauges, I have R-12 gauge set, and actually purchased adapter fittings for that and used mine for both R-12 and for R134a. I later bought a set of R-134a gauges. And of course I use the same vacuum pump for both refrigerants.