AC HOSES

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

sanchez
Read the full article

AC HOSES

Post by sanchez »

Hello all. Newbie requesting help.
The AC shops in my area refuse to help because of the Hybrid system so they won't entertain my questions.
I recently installed a 1995 Chevy LT1 engine in my Jaguar and I am trying to get some info on how to connect the hoses to AC system.
I am using the following items from GM:
AC compressor, Condenser and Dryer

From the OEM Jaguar system:
Evaporator and Expansion Valve

The GM compressor (4 Seasons) has no markings on it
I attached the AC hose manifold but I am not sure whether it was done correctly.
Does the attached photo show the the lines connected properly? Is the low side of the compressor the one indicated in the photo?
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
DSCN1921.JPG
DSCN1921.JPG (149.76 KiB) Viewed 5228 times
sanchez

Re: AC HOSES

Post by sanchez »

P.S I had to bend the lines to clear the exhaust manifold.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Yes, your pic is correct. Be sure to insulate the comp from the very nearby exhaust system. Whoever designed that system put the pump waaaay too close to the exhaust. Your performance will be compromised
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
sanchez

Post by sanchez »

@ tbirdtbird: Thank you for responding. Besides my last query to which you promptly responded, I have a few more questions.
The compressor is installed in its original position on a 1995 LT1 engine which I installed in a 1988 Jaguar XJS. I have about 1 1/2 inches of clearance between the AC lines on the compressor and the exhaust manifold. I may be able to bend the LOW side line a little more without kinking it.
Because no one in my area was willing to assist me in figuring out what is needed to complete my project, I have to get this figured out with the help of forum members.
Firstly, let me say that I am totally ignorant about AC systems and how they work. Having said that, I do all of my mechanical work myself and getting the AC hoses made up and installed should be no problem.
As I stated earlier, my system is a HYBRID one in that I am using Jaguar and GM components to put the system together.
I am using a GM compressor, condenser, dryer and hoses to patch into the Jaguar expansion valve and evaporator.
HERE IS WHAT I HAVE GLEANED FROM READING: Please correct me if I am wrong. I NEED A HOSE ROUTING SCHEMATIC because I do not know where the individual hoses and lines have to go so I need an AC 101 class.
Questions:
1.The LOW side from the compressor has to go to the Expansion valve ?
2.The HIGH side from the expansion valve goes to the top port of the condenser?
3.The HIGH side from the compressor goes to the lower port of the condenser?
Where does the DRYER go in between the above connections if 1,2 and 3 are correct?
Please pardon my ignorance, I just need the help
Attachments
DSCN1917.JPG
DSCN1917.JPG (127.36 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
DSCN1915.JPG
DSCN1915.JPG (161.71 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Your 1988 XJS should have a brass expansion valve mounted at the evaporator. Later cars have the block type expansion valve. This can lead to some confusion.

If we start with the suction line to the compressor, it starts at the Evaporator. Usually a 5/8" ID or larger line, it goes straight to the compressor from the Evaporator.

The compressor Discharge line is usually a -8 or 1/2" ID line. It goes directly from the compressor to the TOP of the condenser.

The liquid line is usually a 3/8" ID line and starts at the bottom of the Condenser. From there it goes to the Inlet on the Receiver / Dryer. After the liquid passes through the Dryer it goes to the Expansion valve.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Do not bend the pipe on the compressor any further. It can easily be damaged. Insulate that area!!! Aerogel is one way to insulate
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

It is a GM compressor. There is wide range of manifold blocks that would offer a better hose routing than that OEM manifold you are trying to bend.

sanchez

Post by sanchez »

This is what my condenser looks like. What is the name/part number for the line on the top?
The lower line is about 1/2" ID.
I do not know what the size of the top line will be as I cannot find one.
Attachments
condenser.jpg
condenser.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 5226 times
condenser.jpg
condenser.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 5226 times
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Please review the hose sizes posted by Bohica at 9:41 this AM (above)
Be certain the condenser is upside right. You can tell by comparing the line sizes.
The larger diameter line always goes to the top (#8 hose), the smaller always to the bottom (#6 hose)
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

What was the donor car for the Condenser you are using?

We can look it up and tell you more about it